Duration: 2.5 hours
Start Time: 9:45 AM
- Try four tastings, including two types of pizza, at unique small businesses in the Spanish Quarter of Naples. This tour provides plenty of food for a full lunch.
- Step into the kitchens of Naples’ most beloved pizzerias before they officially open for the day, watching master pizzaioli toss the dough and light the traditional wood-fired ovens.
- Chat with the people behind the pizza and learn the secrets of the original Neapolitan recipe straight from the masters themselves.
- Dive deep into each of the building blocks of Neapolitan pizza—the dough, oven, tomatoes, and cheese—and learn about the unique role that each element plays in the final delicious product.
- Taste freshly prepared cheeses from a local grocery store and learn why mozzarella wasn’t always the cheese of choice when it comes to pizza toppings!
Take a deep dive into the world’s most popular dish on a carefully crafted Naples pizza tour.
If you want to take your love of pizza to the next level, this is the tour for you. We’ll take you behind the scenes of some of Naples’ best-loved pizzerias and introduce you to the ingredients, history, and people behind this humble working-class meal-turned-international phenomenon. With a Naples local (and fellow pizza lover) leading the way, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of pizza and what sets Naples’ original recipe apart—all before the pizzerias even open to the public.
Discover the ingredients and techniques perfected by Neapolitan artisans and pizzaioli throughout the centuries.
Start your Naples pizza tour at a local produce shop, where you’ll get a crash course in the simple yet flavorful ingredients that make up this culinary staple. We’ll introduce you to our friends Angelo and Tina, whose homemade tomato sauce is one of our personal favorites (and after one taste, you’ll understand why). You’ll also try the raw material itself: tomatoes so fresh they taste like they’ve just been plucked from the vine.
Next, we’ll stroll through the streets of the Spanish Quarter, dotted with a unique mix of religious iconography interspersed with murals dedicated to Diego Maradona. It’s a fitting leadup to the first pizzeria on our tour, named in honor of the Argentine soccer great who once played for Napoli. Step into the kitchen and watch as pizza dough is expertly crafted from a few simple ingredients before biting into a crispy and delicious fried pizza.
At our next stop, you'll learn why only certain types of wood can be used to fuel the traditional ovens that give Neapolitan pizza its irresistibly crunchy crust. Hear from the expert team as they share their wisdom on creating pizza perfection and watch as the oven is fired up for the day. (Craving pizza already? No worries—we’ll be back to try the finished product very soon.)
Before that, though, you’ll head to a small neighborhood grocery store for an introduction to all things cheese. In addition to tasting a selection of top-quality cheeses, you’ll learn about the differences in texture and flavor—and even hear which kind was used before mozzarella became the preferred cheese for pizza.
Get insights that will help you further appreciate every bite.
It's time for the highlight of your Naples pizza tour: a taste of truly authentic pizza napoletana. Head back to the pizzeria where we fired up the oven earlier and sit down to tuck into a freshly made Margherita pizza. The centuries-old techniques and top-quality ingredients you’ve discovered throughout the morning will make your meal even more memorable.
In two and a half delicious hours, you’ll take your love of pizza even further than most. With your guide's expertise, you'll learn how every aspect of Neapolitan pizza—the ingredients, the preparation, and the history behind it—makes the final product so much more than the sum of its parts.
- Sites Visited
- Spanish Quarter of Naples
- 2 neighborhood pizzerias
- Fresh produce shop
- Small neighborhood grocery store
- 1 pizza fritta
- 1 pizza margherita
- Tasting of 3 cheeses
- Tasting of tomatoes & basil and homemade passata
- 1 drink
- Small group of 12 guests maximum
- Expertly guided walking tour
- Local English-speaking guide